the Interactive Guide to
for Trainee and Newly Qualified Teachers
Managing lessons on a daily basis
The aims of this module are:
- To help you develop and implement a series of strategies which allow you to manage pupil behaviour consistently.
- To help you understand the importance of developing a personal classroom discipline policy.
- To introduce the concept of strategic behaviour planning for specific stages of a lesson.
Your ability to control your class depends on the quality of your relationship with them. The majority of pupils in a class respond positively to the expectations communicated by the teacher. 10 to 15% of pupils need more specific interventions to keep them on task and remember classroom rules. Too much talking or too many strategies is not effective. Thinking S.M.A.R.T. is recommended
- Specific and systematic
- Articulate and astute (allowing you to)
- Repair the relationship (and use)
- Tried and tested strategies